Laugh Loudly and Carry a Big Stick...Cocktail
In 5th Grade at Taft Elementary, Student Government decided to raise money for a field trip to Universal Studios by selling Big Stick Popsicles after school. We bought them in bulk for 12.5 cents each and sold them for 50 cents. We really, really wanted to go to Universal Studios and the way there was very simple - eat as many Big Stick Popsicles as humanly possible every day.
It only took 3 weeks to raise the money, and I've never eaten a Big Stick since.
In the course of trying to engineer a pineapple-upside down cake cocktail that wasn't made with embarrassing infused vodkas, this weekend we ended up with something better: The Big Stick. It tastes exactly like you remember, and it's perfect sipping drink for a hot summer day. In California, it's 70 degrees, so it's close enough.
Since we were busy making pineapple upside-down cakes, we had all the ingredients on hand, making it financial responsible as well as time-efficient.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 4 oz Pineapple Juice
- 4 oz Malibu Rum with Pineapple
- 1 tbsp Grenadine Syrup
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- dash Orange bitters
- Maraschino cherries in juice
- Brown sugar for rim
- In cocktail shaker filled with ice, mix pineapple juice, pineapple rum, 1 tbsp juice from maraschino cherries, 2 maraschino cherries, grenadine syrup, almond extract, and orange bitters. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Rim glass with cherry juice and brown or raw sugar (larger crystals preferable).
- Strain cocktail over ice into prepared glass, garnish with fresh cherry, maraschino cherry, and pineapple.